Policy for General Use of Paris-Yates Chapel
The central purpose of the Paris-Yates Chapel is to provide a place of quiet and meditation for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of the University, as well as a facility for campus events of all types, such as special events, recitals, memorial services, weddings, meetings, lectures, concerts, etc.
- The Chapel will be opened during the academic year August – May as follows:
- 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
The Chapel will be closed when the University is closed. During student breaks and the summer sessions, the hours of operation will maintain a shorter schedule:
- Monday – Friday
- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Chapel is closed to the public on Saturdays. The Chapel will be closed on all national holidays and on certain Sundays when students are on break.
- Two prayer/meditation rooms are available for small group meditation or study groups. The rooms may be reserved by going to the Chapel website and filling out the electronic form to request a time to meet. Reservations for each room may not exceed one hour.
- University departments and recognized student organizations may schedule the Chapel for regular meetings, special events, or memorial services by using our electronic reservation form. Please contact the Director of the Chapel at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- In accordance with the University of Mississippi’s COVID Parameters and Protocols, occupancy in Paris-Yates Chapel is currently limited to 26 people. Additional safety precautions must also be adhered to, including but not limited to, the wearing of a face covering and strict social distancing. The Chapel is currently locked and only used for academic classroom purposes. The typical attendance limit for any organization, special event, or wedding is 200 people, which is in accordance with state fire codes.
- All scheduling of the Chapel shall be made by using the electronic reservation form on a first come, first-served basis, except:
- Regularly scheduled meetings (monthly or more frequent) may be scheduled for the academic year.
- Regularly scheduled meetings may be pre-empted by other special events.
- Regularly scheduled meetings shall not interfere with prescribed Quiet Hours.
- The list of approved organists can be obtained by contacting the Director of the Chapel by e-mail at email@example.com
- Nothing shall be hung from the walls. No handouts shall be left in the Chapel.
- Food and beverages are strictly prohibited in the Chapel. No alcoholic beverages may be served on the Chapel grounds.
- No candles are allowed except ceremonial candles on the altar table.
- Only ribbons may be used to secure any decorations to the pews. Tape may not be used. Care will be taken to avoid marring the finish of the pews.
- No tape of any kind can be used on the floors.
- THE CHAPEL MUST BE LEFT AS IT WAS FOUND – CLEAN AND IN ORDER.
- Interpretation of the regulations and their adjustment to special circumstances shall be the prerogative of the Director of the Chapel.
- Parties violating policies of the Paris-Yates Chapel may lose privilege to use the Chapel.
- Cancellation of reservations can be made by electronic cancellation form.
- There is no visitor parking at the Chapel. Parking passes should be purchased at the 4-way stop at the Grove/All-American Drive/Grove Loop or online through Parking and Transportation Services. Parking after 5:00 p.m. is permitted, but any parking in that area prior to 5:00 p.m. can result in receiving a parking ticket.
- There is no charge for faculty, staff, students, or sanctioned campus organizations to use the Chapel for campus events; this does not include weddings. However, each of these groups are expected to take care of the Chapel and leave it as they found it – clean and in order.
- The Chapel does allow Memorial Services for faculty, staff, students, and alumni. We do not allow funerals.